It was that time of year when all the apples were ready
So I built this machine to press them and make lots of lovely juice.
- I found an old car jack, it's this that supplies the power to press the apples.
- The timber frame could have been made to many designs, I decided to keep it simple.
- The timber used in constructing this press was once part of a shed that I demolished.
- An enamel baking tray was used to collect the juice. I fitted a drainage hole and a pipe to channel the juice to my containers.
- The apples were then mashed into a pulp with a sledge hammer in a bucket. (see below.)
- The pulp was wrapped in net curtain fabric to make little packets.
- The packets were then stacked under the press one on top of each other.
- The pressing Began!
- Collected juice was then bottled with added brewers yeast and left to ferment.
- After fermentation was complete the Cider was bottled and stored in a cool dark place.
As soon as I built this machine offers of apples came in from every angle!