This was the third camper conversion project that I have undertaken.
Each time they have been bigger and better!
It's an LDV Luton box van with a Ford Transit 2.4 turbo Diesel engine and 5 speed Gear Box.
It's a great engine that has a cam chain, not a belt, which means it doesn't need replacing.
Being a Ford engine parts are cheap and readily available.
- Fixed full time Double Bed above the cab
- "L" Shaped Seating Area to accommodate 3 to 4 people
- Hot Shower Cubical
- Vented Gas Central Heating
- Three way Fridge Freezer (12volt/ 240volt/ Gas)
- Large Sink with water foot pump (to allow water flow even with no power)
- Gas Hobs, Gas Grill, Gas Oven
- Recessed Spot "Warm White" LED low wattage lighting
- 12volt 110amp Leisure battery with separate automatic charging circuit
- Twin Water Tanks, one under sink drinking water tank and,
- One Large Under Chassis Tank for the shower, with mains water float valve connection
- Double Glazed opening windows all around
- Sunroof skylight and roof top "Pop ventilation"
- Rear and side Barn Doors
- Fully Insulated with multiple layers in the roof and around the Double bed area
- Hydraulic Tail Lift Verandah area
- 5 Speed Gear Box allowing for nice motorway cruising and climbing of even the steepest hills
- Twin wheels on the rear axle (6 wheels in total) meaning very slow wear on the tyres (they last twice as long)
- There are as new tyres all round, including the spare
Above the fixed double bed is an opening sky light that allows you to watch the stars.
The "L" shaped seating area in the van functions as a large single bed.
There's also ample floor space for a fourth camp bed if required.
The idea being that whilst driving the shutter is pulled down and everything is secure and discrete but when the camper is in use the shutter can be lifted to expose the lockable door and window.
I like to call this little space "the garage," out here there's a little outdoor seat under the rear window, it's where the twin Calor gas bottles live.
Behind the rear shutter is where the 500kg Hydraulic Tail lift is, this creates a verandah porch like area (as seen in the pictures.)
The future vision for the tail lift is to convert it to also serve as motorbike rack to lift a bike onto the rear of the vehicle.